Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Clergy Appreciation

Yes, that's right, clergy appreciation month is upon us. It is easy - far too easy - for those of us whose vocation is in the church to feel underappreciated. However, I do believe that most congregations deeply appreciate their pastor/priest - the question is, how can we convey that appreciation, and what should we stop doing that conveys a devaluation of the clergy and their ministry?
  • Write a note. Not just a card (which is also nice) but an actual note to tell your pastor/priest why he or she is important to you and your family. Don't take for granted that we know - we probably don't.
  • Come to worship. It is hard to believe that our ministry is appreciated by people who don't come to worship.
  • Don't clam up when your pastor/priest walks into the room. Going out to have fun (i.e., not in clericals), I have had more rooms fall silent when I walk in than I can count. Here's a secret: I really am a fun guy, and I'm not out to ruin anyone's fun. It sure would be nice if anyone else acted like they thought that.
  • Invite us along. "Hey Pastor, you should have been at the baseball game / football game / party when ..." It is hard for us to be there when we aren't invited. We don't just want to see you on Sunday, and yes, we would like to be a friend. So invite us along.
  • Stop the rumor mill. Don't spread rumors (or behind the back criticism). But not only that, go further. Stop others from doing the same. If their is a complaint or criticism, take it directly your clergy - chances are it is either (a) easily explained or (b) we are ready to apoligize for something we were completely unaware of.
  • Do something special. Throw a "Pastor's Appreciation Luncheon". Host a Birthday Party. Celebrate the anniversary of his or her ordaination, or the anniversary of their call.
  • Put your money where your mouth is. Remember your pastor come budget time. Words of appreciation are nice, but when combined with a refusal to give adequate raises, they ring pretty empty.
  • Volunteer to help around the church. Step into a new ministry role. Show your support for our ministry by participating in it.
  • Don't forget our families. It can be lonely to be in a clergy family. Invite our spouse out for a fun night. Include our kids. Chances are, we are living far from our families and established friends.
  • Pray. Pray for your clergy, pray for their family, pray for their ministry.

2 comments:

June Butler said...

Rebellious Rev, I appreciate you. May I take you out to the ball game? Whoops! I don't go to ball games.

Your suggestions are excellent. I think we're pretty good as a congregation about showing our appreciation of our rector. Sending a personal note is is a lovely idea and is something that I may actually do.

I don't think my rector's wife likes me very much, so inviting her to go out with me is probably not a good idea. I pray for the rector, but not so much for his wife. I surely could do more of that, because being a clergy spouse is not easy. Perhaps our relationship would improve.

I'll pray for you and your family, too.

Diane M. Roth said...

especially I appreciate to know that people are praying for me.